If you have a septic system, you may not know what to do if you are experiencing a problem. At American Waste Septic, we think it is important to know when you should call your septic company for help. We’ve created this checklist so you’ll know when it is time to have a professional check your septic system.
1. Pooling Water – If you walk outside and notice water pooling over your drain field or in odd places in your yard, this could be a sign of a septic back-up issue.
2. Foul Odors – If you have foul odors inside or outside your home, this could indicate a serious problem, and you should call us right away!
3. Sewage Backup – If sewage comes back up into your home after flushing or using the sinks, your septic system is clogged.
4. Slow Drains – Does the water go down very slowly when you are washing dishes or running bath water? This could indicate a problem with your pipes.
5. Dead Grass – If you notice dead grass outside near your drain field, this could indicate sewage is affecting your yard.
6. Water Quality – If your water tastes funny or you notice is it discolored, it may be due to a septic system issue. This is a health hazard, so call for help right away!
7. No Servicing – If you haven’t had your septic system pumped routinely, or you don’t know when a professional last came to look, make sure to call for an appointment.
8. Overflowing Waste – Is waste flowing out into your yard and making a mess? This is a big sign you have a major septic issue.
9. Gurgling Water – When you flush the toilet or run the bath and the drain gurgles, you may have a clog or backed-up system.
10. Unusual Flow – Is your soapy water from the laundry ending up in your toilet? If you notice unusual water flow in your home, make sure to give us a call.